Swimming Pools & Hot Tubs
A BUILDING PERMIT IS REQUIRED for swimming pools and hot tubs that exceed 600mm (23.5") in depth.
A fence, building wall or enclosure at least 1.8 metres (6’) in height must be constructed around a private outdoor swimming pool. The gate to access the swimming pool must be the same height as the fence, lockable, have a self-closing device and a self-latching device that is at least 1.5 metres (5’) high on the inside of the gate.
A fence and gate are not required for a private exterior hot tub provided:
(1) the widest portion of the water’s surface is not more than 2.4 metres (8’).
(2) the cover can support an adult walking across it when it is closed and has a lockable device.
(3) the cover is in place and locked at all times when not in use.
Obtaining a Permit
To obtain a permit, submit a written application on the prescribed form, accompanied with the required plans, and pay the prescribed fee. The following information should be provided:
(1) A site plan drawn to scale showing:
(a) the lot size and location of any existing buildings on the lot.
(b)the location and dimensions of the proposed swimming pool / hot tub and the distances from the property line.
(2) Detailed construction plans of the swimming pool/hot tub.
Building Permit applications are available at the City Hall or by clicking here.
The fee for a building permit is $165.00 plus a Safety Code Council levy of 4% of the permit fee. If any variance to the Land Use Bylaw are required, a development permit and associated fees will also be needed.
Completed application forms can be dropped off between the hours of 8:15 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. at:
City of Brooks
201 - 1 Avenue West
(1) Final Inspection - Upon completion of the project.
Call Park Enterprises at 1-800-621-5440 or 403-329-3747 to schedule an inspection. Or, book an inspection online by clicking here.
THIS INFORMATION IS PROVIDED BY THE CITY OF BROOKS AS A PUBLIC SERVICE AND HAS NO LEGAL STATUS.