A BUILDING PERMIT IS REQUIRED for a covered or uncovered deck constructed 600 millimetres (mm) (23.6 inches) or more above grade. A development permit is not required for an uncovered deck provided it complies with the requirements of the Land Use Bylaw.
Obtaining a Permit
City of Brooks Building Permits are provided by Park Enterprises Ltd. through a contract. To obtain a permit, submit a written application on the prescribed form, accompanied with the required plans, and pay the prescribed fee. The following information should be provided:
(1) A site plan drawn to scale showing:
- the lot size and location of any existing buildings on the lot.
- the location and dimensions of the proposed deck and the distances from the property line.
(2) Detailed construction plans indicating:
- Dimensions and depth of the foundation such as piles below ground. Minimum 1.2 meters (3.93 feet) below ground and 150 mm (5.90 inches) above ground.
- Size and thickness of column pad footings, e.g. 750 mm by 750 mm by 150 mm. [29.5 inches by 29.5 inches by 5.90 inches].
- Decking materials to be used, flooring, joists, beams etc.
- Guard rails - decks that are 600 mm (23.6 inches) or more above ground require guard rails that must meet the following requirements:
- All open sides shall be protected.
- Guard rails shall be a minimum of 900 mm (35.4 inches) in height measured from top of deck. When the deck is more than 1.8 meters (5.90 feet) above grade the guard must be 1.070 meters (42.1 inches) in height.
- Maximum opening of 100 mm (3.93 inches) between vertical members.
- No member, attachment or opening which would allow climbing can be located between 100 mm (3.93 inches) and 900 mm (35.4 inches) above the deck floor.
- It should be noted that if a bench is to be built adjacent to the guard the height of the guard will need to be adjusted so that it is the required distance above the bench seat.
Building Permit applications are available at City Hall or you can view the Building Permit Application (PDF).
Click here to be redirected to the Fees webpage
Completed application forms can be dropped off between the hours of 8:15 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. at:
City of Brooks
201 - 1 Avenue West
A development permit may also be required. Please contact the City to determine if a development permit is required for your proposed work.
THIS INFORMATION IS PROVIDED BY THE CITY OF BROOKS AS A PUBLIC SERVICE AND HAS NO LEGAL STATUS.